Shower Leak. A leaking shower not only does damage to your house, it can cause unwanted smells, damage to surrounding areas, dampness and attract insects and other pests that enjoy moisture. Apart from that, it is also hard to keep clean as dampness and leakage can cause a build-up of dirt and mould in grout and on walls, that is not a very attractive look and hard to remove.
Understanding why showers do leak and what warning signs to look out for if they do can help prevent a leaking shower and at the very least, identify a leaking shower in an early stage and act before too much damage is done.
What Are The Common Causes?
- Building movement, which can cause cracks in walls. Every building has a natural movement due to temperature changes and changing weather conditions.
- Low quality sealants and silicones used to seal the shower.
- Cleaning products that break down the sealants and grout.
- Space between wall and floor due to vibration in the shower walls caused by the shower door and because of natural building movement.
- Incorrect or poor plumbing.
- Failing of the waterproof membrane underneath your shower floor.
- Lack of knowledge by contractors regarding waterproofing techniques
- Poorly installed tiles.
How Will I Know My Shower Is Leaking?
Regular inspection of your wet areas is a great idea, as the sooner a leak is identified, the better. What sort of signs should I look out for?
1. Shower walls and grout have a build-up of mould.
2. Smell caused by rotting timber, damp walls and/or wet carpet/flooring
3. Paint flaking off walls and/or ceiling
4. Cracks in shower walls
5. Grout falling out/missing
If you have a suspicion that there might be a leak in your shower, don’t wait and give Apex Waterproofing a call on 078 456 3442 or click here for an obligation free quote and expert advice.