Firstly, you are not alone. We see this occurrence at least a few times a month, so it is a very common dilemma. Since both professions deal with water in different aspects, it can be difficult for clients to determine who to call first.
Ask The Following Questions:
- When does it leak (only when it rains, all the time, only when water is running through the taps, only when there is a lot of wind driven rain etc)?
- What is above the leak area (balcony, shower, roof)?
- Is there water supply or drainage pipes in the vicinity? It is common to find damaged drainage pipes/down pipes that are built into the wall.
- Are there aircon units in the vicinity? It is also common to find aircon condensation on ceilings, especially in a commercial setting.
Depending on the answers to the above-mentioned questions, the following steps will then need to be taken by a waterproofing professional:
- Flood testing the area from the lowest point to the highest point (balcony, roof, bathtub etc).
- If no leak is reproduced, at this stage we would recommend a plumber who would carry out one of 2 things; a pipe pressure test OR chopping to expose any underlying issues.
In our experience, this is the most thorough and cost-effective way to ascertain where your water ingress problem is situated. If it is not the waterproofing and is in fact plumbing, a waterproofing professional might still need to be hired in certain scenarios as the plumber would chop up any waterproofing that may have already been installed to get to the problem pipe (ie. Shower leaks, balcony leaks etc).
Our team not only offer free on-site inspections but we also compile detailed reports of what the cause is and what our tailor-made solution is to repair it. Contact us today and let us be of service to you.